Walter J. McMurtry Papers,1847-1853
- Walter J. McMurtry Papers,1847-1853
- McMurtry, Walter J.
- 6 items
- Clay, Cassius Marcellus, 1810-1903-- Captivity.
- Clay, Henry, 1811-1847-- Death and burial.
- Buena Vista, Battle of, 1847-- Sources.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Soldier. Papers consisting of five letters and one affidavit/power of attorney regarding his Mexican War service, all written by McMurtry. Letters dated 1 Feb. and 2 Mar. 1847 describe, respectively, his quarters and conditions in Saltillo, Mexico, and the capture of Cassius Marcellus Clay and others before the Battle of Buena Vista; and the Battle of Buena Vista, the death of Henry Clay, Jr. and other casualties, troop movements, the condition of the Mexican army, and the exchange of Cassius Clay