William J. Helsley Letters,1861-1862
- William J. Helsley Letters,1861-1862
- Helsley, William J.
- 2 items
- United States.-- Army.-- Ohio Infantry Regiment, 19th (1861-1865)
- Afro-Americans-- History-- to 1863.
- Farm equipment-- Kentucky.
- Letterheads-- United States.
- Livestock-- Kentucky.
- Slaves-- Kentucky.
- Kentucky-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- United States-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Union soldier with the 19th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Letters written while serving with the 19th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in Kentucky. His letter of 8 December 1861 has a patriotic letterhead and tells of a wagon accident in which the driver was killed. His letter of 1 Jan. 1862 discusses his opinion of slavery and describes slaves driving a team of oxen to the fields. Card file in repository