Lafayette Studios photographs: 1920s decade

Descriptive Summary

Title
Lafayette Studios photographs: 1920s decade
Creator
Long, Robert J.
Extent
55 items
Subjects
Historic buildings--Kentucky--Lexington.
Lexington (Ky.)--History--Pictorial works.
Arrangement
The collection is arranged by Lafayette Studios-assigned invoice number, listed in the guide as the item number for each image. The numbers are in a rough chronological order. Multiple images in an invoice group are represented by the invoice number, followed by an alphabetical qualifier: a, b, c, etc. The numbers are not contiguous and the many gaps in the collection represent missing invoice/work orders. University of Kentucky Archives has no information on the content or fate of the missing invoice groups. Most invoice groups (represented as whole numbers) contain more than one image.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Processed by Richard Leigh, Jacob Broderick, Christian Trombetta and Jessica Powell under the supervision of Jason Flahardy; machine-readable finding aid created by Jason Flahardy and Digital Library Services staff
Preferred Citation
96PA101: [identification of item], Collection on Lafayette Studios, University of Kentucky Archives.
Repository
University of Kentucky

Collection Overview

Biography / History
Robert J. "Bob" Long and his wife, Ida Nelson Long, opened Lafayette Studios in 1923, operating it out of the New Johns Building at 108 Walnut Street (now Martin Luther King Boulevard) in Lexington, Kentucky. Bob and Ida Long already had a few years experience in still and moving image photography and Bob Long worked as a projectionist at the newly opened Kentucky Theatre on East Main Street. In 1925, they expanded their business and moved the studio space to 311 West Main Street. By the early 1930s, the Longs bought out their main competitor, Starman Studios. Around this time, Bob Long left his job at the Kentucky Theatre and focused on building Lafayette Studios into Lexington's most successful photographic studio. In the late 1930s, the Longs moved again, this time to the Starman Studio space, at 301 West Main Street. By 1941, they moved again, settling into 141-143 North Limestone; it was to be the studio's home until 1984. In 1959, the Longs sold Lafayette Studios to Chester Wainscott and Goy Goforth and retired. After 1962, Wainscott became the sole owner and operator until the studio closed in 1985 at its final location of 111 South Limestone.
Scope and Content
This finding aid lists the 1920s images produced by Lafayette Studios (55 items; dated 1940-1949). The Lafayette Studios photographs consists of 17,269 photographic negatives (52.0 cubic feet, 115 boxes) in the 8x10, 5x7, and 4x5 formats and both nitrate and acetate base materials are present. Scenes of commercial real estate in downtown Lexington predominate, but civil and social groups are represented, as well as photographic orders filled at the request of private individuals that cover a wide array of subject matter.

Restrictions on Access and Use

Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access note The collection is open for research use.
Use Restrictions
All rights to the photographs, including but not restricted to legal title, copyrights and literary property rights, have been transferred to the University of Kentucky Archives. Photographs may be reproduced with permission from Audio-Visual Archives, University of Kentucky Libraries.

Contents of the Collection

1926

People standing near car, 1926

  • Item 7705
To top

1928

Combs Lumber Company; 439 E. Main (Certain-teed Quick-Drying Enamels), 1928-01-14

  • Item 2036
To top

Flood Views; Main Street ; Storefronts in background; Postal Telegraph-Cable Company, 205 East Main; Morris Shoe Repairing, 209 East Main; Johns Drug Company, 203 East Main, 1928-07-13

  • Item 2063
To top

Elmore Antique Shop; chandelier, 1928-10-11

  • Item 64
To top

St. Joseph's Hospital, 544 West Second (2nd) Street; exterior; one-story brick building; 544 West Second Street, 1928-11-26

  • Item 114
To top

Morton Junior High School, 120 Walnut Street; Coon's Restaurant (Hughes' Ice Cream Sign in foreground), 1928-12-15

  • Item 907
To top

Lawwill and Norwood Realtors building, 107 West Short , exterior; Cigars Spears Magazines Store; southeast corner of Main Street and Upper, 1928

  • Item 1788
To top

Maccabee's (Drill Team); Golden Anniversary Jubilee, 1928

  • Item 184a
To top

Maccabee's (Drill Team); Golden Anniversary Jubilee, 1928

  • Item 184b
To top

Henry Clay High School, 701 East Main; exterior (from Walton Avenue, looking East), 1928

  • Item 2103
To top

Style show (L.L. Roberts, Electrolux, Sears & Roebuck, Candioto Piano Company), 1928

  • Item 2219
To top

Bryan Station Spring; street scene [DAMAGED], 1928

  • Item 2241a
To top

Bryan Station Spring sign, 1928

  • Item 2241b
To top

Bryan Station Spring; street scene, 1928

  • Item 2241c
To top

1929

Good Samaritan Hospital, 310-330 South Limestone; exterior (Mary A. Ott Memorial), 1929-01-29

  • Item 739
To top

Kaufman's Clothing Company; exterior, storefront; 135 West Main Street, 1929-02-02

  • Item 534a
To top

Kaufman's Clothing Company; exterior, storefront; 135 West Main Street, 1929-02-02

  • Item 534b
To top

Louisville Herald-Post; Lexington Motor Police being presented with check, 1929-02-11

  • Item 538
To top

Lexington Laundry Company truck; in front of Morrison Hall, Transylvania University Campus, 1929-03-06

  • Item 571a
To top

Lexington Laundry Company car; in front of Morrison Hall, Transylvania University Campus, 1929-03-06

  • Item 571b
To top

Howard & Heafey, "Florists, Flowers for all Occasions" (Winchester Road beyond Loudon Avenue Road 4); exterior, greenhouses, 1929-04-20

  • Item 489
To top

Home Economics Classroom, 1929-04-25

  • Item 444
To top

Purcell, J.D. Company; exterior, window; 326, 327,328,329, 330 West Main Street; plaque reads: "Upon this site stood Lexington Fort, 1780; and later the market house in which convened the first Legislature of Kentucky, June 4, 1792.", 1929-05-08

  • Item 433
To top

Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal, 1929-05-11

  • Item 345a
To top

Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal, 1929-05-11

  • Item 345b
To top

Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal, 1929-05-11

  • Item 345c
To top

Mare and foal, 1929-05-11

  • Item 345d
To top

Mare and foal, 1929-05-11

  • Item 345e
To top

Mare and foal, 1929-05-11

  • Item 345f
To top

Consolidated Lines (Consolidated Coach Corporation) bus number 401, 1929-05-17

  • Item 431
To top

Central Fire Station, Lexington Fire Department; exterior, with truck, 1929-06-14

  • Item 368a
To top

Central Fire Station, Lexington Fire Department; exterior, with truck, 1929-06-14

  • Item 368b
To top

Fire Photos: scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture (Southern Bedding Company); fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16

  • Item 382a
To top

Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16

  • Item 382b
To top

Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16

  • Item 382c
To top

Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16

  • Item 382d
To top

Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16

  • Item 382e
To top

Tafel Electric Company 564 West Main; Walker-Megown Company Hardware; 566, 567, 568 West Main Street; exterior of building, 1929-06-21

  • Item 406
To top

Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10

  • Item 254a
To top

Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10

  • Item 254b
To top

Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10

  • Item 254c
To top

Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10

  • Item 254d
To top

Kentucky Coach Company; fair tents, 1929-08-23

  • Item 264
To top

Texaco; Thompson Road, Old Frankfort Pike, 1929-09-07

  • Item 286
To top

Kentucky Club Ginger Ale truck parked in front of stores on the side of East Main; John G. Epping Bottling Works; Thorpe's Tailoring Department, Keith's Bar and Chop House; Question Mark Cafe, 133 East Main Street, 1929-09-28

  • Item 306
To top

Selman Department Store; exterior, 1929-10-10

  • Item 342a
To top

Selman Department Store; exterior, 1929-10-10

  • Item 342b
To top

Montgomery Ward; exterior, 230-232 East Main Street, 1929-10-16

  • Item 324
To top

Piggly Wiggly; interior, produce display, 1929-10-19

  • Item 333
To top

Fairbanks, Morse, & Company manufacturer; pump engine, 1929-10-28

  • Item 241a
To top

Fairbanks, Morse, & Company manufacturer; pump engine, 1929-10-28

  • Item 241b
To top

Montgomery Ward Company; exterior; 230-232 East Main, 1929-11-06

  • Item 627
To top

Boy Scouts; group photo, 1929-11-28

  • Item 214a
To top

Boy Scouts; group photo, 1929-11-28

  • Item 214b
To top

Denton Company; Santa Claus, 1929-11-29

  • Item 213
To top

Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.

Requests

No items have been requested.



Enter a comma-separated list of the tags you want associated with this request.






Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.