Governor J .C. W. Beckham Check,1903
- Governor J .C. W. Beckham Check,1903
- Beckham, Governor J .C. W.
- 1 item (1 leaf); 8 X 18 cm.
- Checks--Kentucky--Franklin County
- Sinking funds--Kentucky
- Farmers Bank of Frankfort (Frankfort, Kentucky)
- Beckham, John Crepps Wickliffe, 1869-1940
- Finding Aid Author
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- The money deposited in the state's treasury was from a debt collected from the United States War Department. Kentucky sued the department for damages incurred to the state's infrastructure during the Civil War. When the money was awarded, it was put into the Sinking Fund to be allocated at a later date for the construction of a new capitol.
- Scope and Content
- This single item collection consists of a check written by Governor J. C. W. Beckham, as the Chairman of the Sinking Fund Commission, to the state treasury. The check for for $1,323,999.35. The money was to be used for the construction of a new state capitol in Frankfort, Kentucky. The check was drawn on an account established at Farmer's Bank of Frankfort.