George St. Leger Grenfell Letters,1864-1950
- George St. Leger Grenfell Letters,1864-1950
- Grenfell, George St. Leger, 1808-1868
- 9 items
- Packe, Anthony Horatio.
- Pearce-Serocold, Marie, 1837-1904-- Correspondence.
- Stone, Henry Lane-- Correspondence.
- United States-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Prisoners and prisons-- Sources.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Soldier of fortune in the Confederate Army. Handwritten transcripts of Colonel Grenfell's letter, 1864-1868, to his daughter Marie Pearce-Serocold, William Maynard, and Henry Lane Stone, concerning his service to the Confederate States of America and his imprisonment at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Florida; a transcript of a 6 Apr. 1868 letter from Peyton Johnston, Sr., to Evans and Co. about Colonel Grenfell; and a 23 Apr. 1950 letter of A.H. Packe to The Filson Club giving the history of Colonel Grenfell and the U.S. flag he sent to England