Mary Ashby Cheek Collection,1909-1988 (Bulk.Dates 1937-1987)
- Mary Ashby Cheek Collection,1909-1988 (Bulk.Dates 1937-1987)
- Cheek, Mary Ashby, 1891-1988
- 4 cubic feet including some oversize materials
- Danville, Ky.--Description and travel
- Kentucky--Boyle County--Social life and customs
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- Mary Ashby Cheek was born on October 22, 1891 and died at the age of 96 on April 18, 1988. She was the fourth child of John Adamson Cheek and Margaret Logan McKee Cheek. A well-established Kentucky family, the Cheek's also had a long association with Centre College. Mary Ashby, however, was unable to attend that institution since it was a male college until 1926. Instead, she received her bachelor's degree, in 1913, from Mt. Holyoke College, her master's degree from Columbia University in 1922 and did doctoral level studies in London, Paris, Geneva, Munich, and at Harvard. In 1931 she was named Dean and lecturer in history at Mt. Holyoke. She was appointed president of Rockford College in 1937. She retired to Danville, Ky. in 1954.
- Scope and Content
- This large collection contains the records documenting the professional life of educator Mary Ashby Cheek. The collection includes: personal and professional correspondence, meeting minutes, vitas, transcripts of interviews, cards, newspaper clippings, guest book, yearbooks, journals, diplomas and awards, articles and unpublished manuscripts, and travel narratives.