John F. Smith Papers,1915-1940
- John F. Smith Papers,1915-1940
- Smith, John F., 1877-1940
- 1.6 lin. ft.
- Appalachia -- Education
- Appalachia -- Culture
- Appalachia -- Folklore
- Appalachia -- Ballads
- Appalachia -- Recreation
- Appalachia -- Poets and poetry
- Kentucky Folklore and Poetry Magazine (periodical)
- Appalachia -- Music, folk
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Smith came to Berea College in 1911 as a teacher of Rural Science. He became interested in mountain culture and began collecting information on area music and games. He was an editor of the KENTUCKY FOLKLORE AND POETRY MAGAZINE, wrote poetry, and published articles on various aspects of mountain life, especially recreation. He retired from Berea in 1931. After his death, his wife Orril Martindale Smith gave the collection to Berea College.
- Scope and Content
- These include ballads collected by Smith after 1915 (ca. 300 items), a notebook of Scottish and English ballads, descriptions of folk music and games, correspondence, and published and unpublished materials by or about Smith.
- Unpublished inventory/register.