Southern Appalachian Archives Papers,ca. 1900-1982
- Southern Appalachian Archives Papers,ca. 1900-1982
- Southern Appalachian Archives
- 41.8 lin. ft.
- Mines and mining, coal -- Accidents
- Mines and mining, strip
- Appalachia -- Singers
- Appalachia -- Poets and poetry
- Appalachia -- Arts and crafts
- Appalachia -- Labor unions
- Mines and mining, coal
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
- Berea College
- Scope and Content
- The majority of these files contain newsclippings, although published reports and some correspondence on outstanding individuals in Appalachia, the region in general, and coal mining are included as well.
- The biography files (3.3 l.f.) contain the bulk of the correspondence and focus mainly on Appalachian artists, such as Loretta Lynn, Olive Tilford Dargan, and John Jacob Niles. The files on Appalachia (27.5 l.f.) are not limited to Kentucky, but cover all states in the region and include information on towns, counties, colleges and universities, festivals, and handicrafts. Materials on coal mining (11 l.f.) contain information on accidents, companies and disasters, strip mining, and the United Mine Workers.
- Card catalog.