James H. Simpson to B. D. Paddock
- James H. Simpson to B. D. Paddock
- 1863 July 25
- Simpson, James H.
- 0.1 Cubic feet
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Collection is arranged by format.
- Preferred Citation
- 2011MS146: [identification of item], James H. Simpson to B. D. Paddock, 1863 July 25, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
- University of Kentucky
- Biography / History
- James H. Simpson was Chief Engineer of the Department of the Ohio during the Civil War. Lieutenant B. D. Paddock, 6th Michigan Battery, was the constructing engineer in charge of the Union defenses prepared in Glasgow, Kentucky.
- Scope and Content
- The collection consists of a letter from Major James H. Simpson to Lt. B. D. Paddock giving Paddock instructions on the construction of the defenses at Glasgow, Kentucky; the arrangement for the necessary labor details; and the procurement of the necessary tools and transportation. The letter contains a cross-sectional sketch of how the breastworks are to be constructed, the dimensions, the heighth of breast, the width of banquette, and the slopes of the embankment.
Restrictions on Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access
- Conditions Governing Access note Collection is open to researchers by appointment.
- Use Restrictions
- The physical rights to the materials in this collection are held by the University of Kentucky Special Collections.
No items have been requested.
Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.