Eberly Family Papers, 1927-1975 (bulk 1940-1975)
- Eberly Family Papers, 1927-1975 (bulk 1940-1975)
- Eberly Family
- 1 box,.5 c.f.
- Hoskinson, Josie H.
- Eberly family
- Sensenig, E. Elmer
- Durlach (Pa.) - History
- Kentucky - History
- Texas -- History
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- Josie H. Hoskinson was a journalist for more than forty years. She entered the field in 1928 with the AMARILLO NEWS GLOBE, and became women's editor for the NORMAN TRANSCRIPT in 1931. She continued to write feature stories and a weekly Sunday gardening column when she was in her eighties.
- In the late 1930s Hoskinson became interested in genealogy while trying to establish her family lineage in order to join the Daughters of the American Revolution. During the next twenty-five years she corresponded with numerous state and county records offices, various churches and schools, and many family members and persons named Eberly with roots in Pennsylvania and Kentucky. It is this correspondence that makes up the majority of the collection.
- Hoskinson was searching for information regarding her great-grandfather, Jacob Eberly, who was probably born in 1793 in Mercer County, Kentucky. She was never able to locate a record to establish this. She did, however, find the marriage bond of Jacob Eberly and Catherine Elgin, issued in Woodford County, Kentucky, in 1818. The family lived near Lexington until moving to Texas in 1832.
- Scope and Content
- This collection contains materials relating to the Eberly family of Kentucky, which emigrated to Texas in 1832. The materials were collected by Josie H. Hoskinson, of Norman, Oklahoma. The collection contains notes that Hoskinson wrote while doing her research, as well as genealogical information that was sent to her by other family members. Also included are photocopies of property deeds and wills, three obituaries that were clipped from newspapers, and a photograph of the Eberly family private cemetery, located in Durlach, Pennsylvania.
- The collection also includes a pamphlet entitled A HISTORY OF THE HEINRICH EBERLY FAMILY AND THEIR DESCENDANTS, published in 1927 by Rev. E. Elmer Sensenig, who for many years was the historian of the Pennsylvania branch of the Eberly family.
- Variant Name: Josie H. Hoskinson
- Occupation: Journalist
- County: Mercer; Woodford
Contents of the Collection
Correspondence of Josie Hoskinson, 1940-1954
- Box 1, folder 1
Correspondence of Josie Hoskinson, 1955
- Box 1, folder 2
Correspondence of Josie Hoskinson, 1956-1957
- Box 1, folder 3
Correspondence of Josie Hoskinson, 1958-1959
- Box 1, folder 4
Correspondence of Josie Hoskinson, 1960-1975 and undated
- Box 1, folder 5
Research notes of Josie Hoskinson; Newspaper clippings
- Box 1, folder 6
Eberly family genealogical information; photograph
- Box 1, folder 7
Transcriptions / Images
- Box 1, folder 7