Abel (Niels Henrik) (1802-1829) Mèmoire sur les èquations algèbriques, 1824
- Abel (Niels Henrik) (1802-1829) Mèmoire sur les èquations algèbriques, 1824
- Abel, Neils Henrik, 1802-1829
- 1 item (see also William Marshall Bullitt Collection).
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Archives Staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
- University of Louisville
- Scope and Content
- Mèmoire sur les èquations algèbriques. Christiana: Groendahl, 1824. In this exceptionally rare offprint Abel demonstrates the impossibility, in general, of solving fifth degree polynomial equations by radicals. This was William Marshall Bullitt's most prized addition to his collection of rare mathematics and astronomy and remains distinguished as one of only three copies known to exist.