J. W. Calvert Letter, 1863 Feb. 20
- J. W. Calvert Letter, 1863 Feb. 20
- Calvert, J. W
- 1 item
- Bragg, Braxton, 1817-1876.
- Brown, John, 1800-1859.
- Buell, Don Carlos, 1818-1898.
- Forrest, Nathan Bedford, 1821-1877.
- Kentucky-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Sources.
- Morgan, John Hunt, 1825-1864.
- Wheeler, Joseph, 1836-1906.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- The letter discusses life in a border state during the Civil War. Calvert also mentions the "great raids by Buell and Bragg, and lesser ones by Morgan, Wheeler, Forrest and Co., through our part of the state . . ." Calvert expresses his lack of faith in the Emancipation Proclamation. Also, because of his Confederate relatives, Calvert burned all of his political papers, but could not part with his picture of John Brown. Card index in repository