Clar (Lillie Foell) Papers, ca. 1889-1940's
- Clar (Lillie Foell) Papers, ca. 1889-1940's
- Clar, Lille Foell, 1884-1972
- The collection consists of six boxes. 3.25 linear ft.
- University of Louisville
- Biography / History
- Lillie Foell Clar was born November 30, 1884 in Louisville, Kentucky. She attended Female High School in Louisville and graduated from the same on June 16, 1902. Upon graduation she attended Normal School in order to prepare for a career in teaching. Upon completing this phase of her education, she began teaching Penmanship in the Louisville school system and eventually became a supervisor in this area. She also met Robert Clar, married, and resided in Louisville the rest of her life until her death on May 28, 1972.
- Scope and Content
- Ms. Clar's papers are informative concerning the period of her lifetime, especially her early years. Included are school notes from the 1890's and early 1900's, several of her early textbooks from this same period, postcards spanning the period from the early 1900's up into the early 1940's, some correspondence, photographs, articles, and books pertaining to Ms.Clar's life.
Contents of the Collection
Consists of postcards from the early 1900's through the early 1940's which are clearly dated.
Postcards either undated or with unclear dates. Also several Christmas cards.
Articles and newspaper clippings
- Box 3, folder 1
- Box 3, folder 2
Loose notebooks from Ms.Clar's school years including:
-Flower book (1900)
Also- Booklet- Views of Chicago
- Happy Holidays
- Photographic scrapbook -evidently from her years in Normal school.
- Picture roll
- Book- The Nations at War- a current history-1917.
- Book- A Dog of Flanders by Ouida
- George Eliot Calendar- 1917
-"Louisville and Kentucky" 1916 edition.
- Pearls from Whittier
- Book shaped like a skull by Clare Dwiggins.
- Program from the Schwabischer Unterstutzungs Verein volksfest August 12, 1894
Lillie Foell Clar Photographs
* 1) John Hoertz School/ Aug. 30,1910 (Hickory, southeast corner of Sylvia Ave.)
2) First Presbyterian Theological Seminary/ April 21, 1915.
3) City Hall/ July 28, 1911.
4) Paul Jones Bldg./ Aug. 1915 (entrance 312 S. 4th)/
5) Female High School/ August 28, 1912 (listed under "Girls' High School", 506 W. Hill)
6) Scene of North Fork Beargrass Creek, Cherokee Park, Louisville, Ky./ July 29, 1913.
7) Ripples, Cherokee Park, Louisville, Ky.; "Tell Mr. Plack to Dam that Damn Creek"/ August 10, 1916.
8) Lake in Cherokee Park, Louisville, Ky./ August 29, 1914.
9) Old Canal Locks, Louisville, Ky./ July 23, 1915.
10) Convent of the Good Shepherd, Louisville, Ky./ Nov. 29, 1909. (728 (516) S. 8th Street)
11) The Three Jolly Dogs (photo of man sitting with two dogs)/ October 23, 1907.
12) Confederate Monument, Park Place, Louisville/ July 13, 1906.
* 13) Portrait of Mrs. O'Bryan (?)/ Ernest W. Brown's studio 536 Fourth Ave. Louisville, Ky./ June 28, 1908.
14) Kentucky River Transportation Co./ 134 North Fourth Street Lou., Ky. "Log Raft Capitol Dome in Distance"/ Aug. 8, 1909.
15) Chapel, Cave Hill Cemetery, Louisville,Ky./ Nov. 27, 1909.
* 16) Flooded area with Eugene Walsh Cooperage Co. sign visible (north-south corner of Carter, all east of 4th) "Murrel Court April 2, 1913"/ July 25, 1913.
17) General View of the State Fair Grounds, Louisville, Ky./ November 20, 1916.
18) Mammoth Cave entrance, looking out, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky 1920. / July 4, 1921.
19) Echo River, 360 ft. underground in the Mammoth Cave of Ky. (people in boats on river)/ July 4, 1932.
20) On Echo River, 350 ft. underground, Mammoth Cave, Ky. / July 10, 1907. H.C. Canter photographer
21) Entrance from a distance M.C., Kentucky/ August 28, 1907.
* 22) Exit of Corkscrew into main cave, M.C., Kentucky/ September 15, 1910.
23) Baptist Church, Bardstown, Ky./ Aug. 16, 1912.
24)Main street of Bardstown, looking north from the Court House/ Aug. 21, 1911.
25) Georgetown College, Georgetown, Ky./ Aug. 24, 1911.
* 26) Planting tobacco in Ky./ Jan. 15, 1915 (two men doing the actual planting, from two low-slung, extended seats)
* 27) Harvesting tobacco in Kentucky/ Aug. 14, 1914 (super photograph of men, women and little girls holding up leaves of tobacco).
28) Confederate Home, Pewee Valley, Ky./ Nov. 9, 1908.
29) Confederate Home at Pewee Valley Station, Louisville, Ky./ January 19, 1909.
30) Confederate Soldiers' Home/ January 21, 1908.
31) Grayson Springs, Ky./ July 29, 1912 and June 11, 1918/
32) Jolly crowd at Grayson Springs, Ky. (large group sitting on the porch of the hotel) / August 19, 1915.
33) Grayson Springs, Ky./ July 20, 1907, sepia toned.
34) Park Grayson Springs, Ky. / July 25, 1912 (portrait of group far away from the camera).
35) Grayson Springs, Ky./ August 7, 1916.
36) Rustic Bridge, Grayson Springs, Ky./ Sept. 17, 1915 (view down length of bridge with man taking photograph near far end).
37) The heart of Benham, Kentucky/ July 29,1921.
38) Nazareth Junior College and Academy, Nazareth, Ky./ July 26, 1927.
39) Masonic Temple, Williamsburg, Kentucky/ Jan. 19, 1924.
40) Court House, Greensburg, Ky., Built in 1799/ Aug. 3, 1928.
41) Little Barren River, Sulphur Well, Ky./ Aug. 25, 1924.
* 42) Panoramic view of Hazard, Kentucky/ May 7, 1924 (shows the river curving around Hazard).
43) Federal Hill, Bardstown, Ky. Where "Old Kentucky Home" was written/ July 26, 1920.
44) Federal Hill, Bardstown, Ky. Where Foster wrote "My Old Kentucky Home"/ March 25, 1921 and Aug. 4, 1925
45) Cumberland Avenue, Looking West, Middlesboro, Ky./ January 14, 1924.
46) Beula Villa Hotel, Sulphur Well, Ky./ August 24, 1923.
47) Beula Villa Hotel, Sulphur Well, Ky./ August 8, 1922
48) Center House, Shakertown, near Harrodsburg, Ky./ May 7, 1915.
49)The Main Corrider, Capitol Frankfort, Kentucky/ Sept. 12, 1912.
* 50) An Outing on "Pilot Knob", near Mount Sterling, Ky./ July 4, 1912.
51) , Ky. post office/ November 2, 1910 (photochromed in Saxony)
52) Henry Clay Home of 1807, Lexington, Ky./ January 20, 1914.
53) St. Francis Academy, Owensboro, Ky./ July 2, 1914.
54) (on back) Dead Man's Cave with Hatfield Bros. Launch, "Rebecca Boone" anchored, White Mills, Ky./ July 26, 1910.
55) Bathing scene, White Mills, Ky./ September 10, 1907.
* 56) Hatfield's Landing, Aug. 1907 White Mills, Ky./ not dated (groups in various boats and on river bank).
57) State Normal School, Frankfort, Ky./ September 30, 1907.
58) "A Quiet Corner", Stock Farm scene near Lexington, Ky./ September 28, 1908.
59) Middlesboro Public School, Middlesboro, Ky./ Oct. 30, 1909.
60) Club House at the famous Olympian Spings, Olympia, Kentucky/ August 9, 1912.
61) Wash day near Blowing Cave, Hardin Springs, Ky./ August 26, 1913.
62) Bridge at Hardin Springs, Ky./ August 20, 1914.
63) Fountain of Youth, Hardin Springs, KY./ August 13, 1913.
64) Cemetery of Versailles, Ky./ January 12, 1916.
65) Hardin County Court House, Elizabethown, Ky./ August 30, 1916.
66) Main Building Appalachian Exposition, Knoxville-- "Home of the Popular Blue Ribbon Flavoring Extacts"/ October 25, 1910.
67) (on back) "Dear Lillie; A kodak picture of myself taken in the woods about Scranton. Yours respectfully, William"/ March 7, 1910.
* 68) "The teacher was asking what sun spots were/ I've seen `em said Fred, not far from here/ There's a case of sun spots right on our street/ Where a girl got freckles and prickly heat"/ December 29, 1908.
* 69) Photograph of 3rd battalion of regiment from Fort Thomas, Ky. at Jolo, Philipine Islands/ July 8, 19--.
Other postcards of interest in BOX 1 --
--Market Street, Indianopolis/ 1911 (shows trolley and capitol).
-- Tornado damage on Easter, Omaha, Nebraska/ 1913.
-- Union Stockyards, Chicago/ 1911.
- Box 1
1) Ferry Boat W,C. Hite, Louisville, Ky. (ferry docked, with group getting off boat, Big Four bridge in background).
2) "Louisville, Ky." (City of Louisville ferry docked with people aboard).
3) "Louisville, Ky." (City of Cincinnati ferry with people on board).
4) The only Government Inland Life Saving Station in the United States, Louisville, Ky. (shows station with men standing on the deck, ferry in the background).
5) S.S. City of Cincinnati at Louisville, Ky. (written on front "Remember, July 3, 1908 when we left on this steamer").
6) 14th Street Bridge, Louisville, Ky. (with train on track).
7) Big Four Bridge, Louisville, Ky. ("Sunshine" ferry going under bridge).
8) Canal and locks on Ohio River, Louisville, Ky.
9) Pennsylvania Bridge, Louisville, Ky. (same postcard as no.6, entitled "14th Street Bridge").
10) Falls of the Ohio, Ohio River, Louisville, Ky.
11) Ohio River Falls, at Louisville, Ky. (Photo by Caufield & Shook, 1912).
12) Falls on the Ohio below Government Dam, Louisville, Ky.
13) Waterworks basin, Louisville, Ky. (Crescent Hill resevoir).
14) Resevoir, waterworks, Louisville, Ky.
15) Spring, Cherokee Park, Louisville, Ky. (small boy crouched by stone wall and spring).
16) Christensen Fountain, Cherokee Park, Louisville, Ky./ August 21, 1916 (horse watering trough).
17) Louisville, Ky. Pagoda in Central Park.
* 18) View in Central Park, Louisville, Ky. (tennis courts(?) off to the right).
19) Entrance to Cave Hill Cemetery, Louisville, Ky.
20) Lake in Cave Hill Cemetery, Louisville, Ky.
21) Front view of the Country Club House, Louisville, Ky. (located Mellwood Ave. beyond city limits, early 1900's).
22) Public Library, Louisville, Ky.
23) The Hermitage Hotel Terrace, Louisville, Ky. (on back: 543-545 Fifth Avenue...Beautiful Room with Private Bath, 1.50 per day...).
24) House in which General Taylor was born, Louisville, Ky.
25) Main building of the Kentucky State Fair Association, Louisville, Kentucky.
26) German Protestant Orphans Home, Louisville, KY.
27) New York Hall, Louisville, Ky. (729 South Fifth).
28) Custom House and Post Office, Louisville, Ky./ July 24, 1911.
29) Union Station, 10th and Bevay, Louisville, Ky. (with trolley).
30) Boys High School, Louisville, Ky.
31) Jail, Louisville, Ky.
32) City Hall, Louisville, Ky.
33) New Seelbach Hotel, Louisville, Ky.
34) Union Station, 10th and Broadway, Louisville, Ky.
35) Jefferson west of 3rd, Louisville, Ky. (Marvel Theatre sign).
36) Cherokee Road, Louisville, Ky.
37) Business section from Brown Hotel, Louisville, Ky.-- 4 (Caufield & Shook, Inc., Louisville, Ky. neg. no. 30718).
38) Grayson Springs, Ky. (shows hotel; man on horseback).
39) Grayson Springs, Ky.
40) A bit of the park, Grayson Springs, Ky. / July 30, 1914.
41) Park Grayson Springs, Ky./ July 24, 1912 (group portrait from afar),
* 42) Old swimmin' hole Grayson Springs, Ky. (clothed group on bank, kids in swimmin' hole),
43) Entrance to Park Grayson Springs, Ky. (baby buggy in driveway),
44) Grayson Springs, Ky. (group on pathway in distance).
* 45) Creek, Grayson Springs,KY. (cow in creek).
46) Grayson Springs, Ky.
47) Hotel, Grayson Springs, Ky.
48) Rustic bridge, Grayson Springs, Ky. (man standing on bridge photographing something).
49) Mammoth Cave, Ky.-- Looking out through entrance to Mammoth Cave.
50) Mammoth Cave, Ky.-- The Arm Chair.
51) Mammoth Cave, Ky.--- Saltpeter Vats.
52) Mammoth Cave, Ky.-- Martha Washington's Statue.
53)Mammoth Cave, Ky.-- Bridal Alter.
* 54) Illonois Central depot, Dawson Springs, Ky. (vending cart and individuals waiting for a train).
55) The Henry Clay Elm at the famous Olympian Springs, Olympia, Ky.
56) Olympian Springs cottages, Olympia, Ky.
* 57) Street and river scene, White Mills, Ky.
58) The bridge and falls, White Mills, Ky.
59) Union Depot, Lexington, Ky.
60) Kentucky's new state capitol, cost to build nearly 2,000,000 Frankfort, Ky.
* 61) View of sunken garden at old Taylor Distillery, E.H. Taylor,Jr. & Sons, Inc., Distillers Frankfort, Ky.
* 62) Breaking hemp in Kentucky.
63) Central Insane Asylum, Lakeland, Ky.
64) Federal Hill where Stephen Collins Foster wrote "My Old Kentucky Home" (on the back) "My Old Kentucky Home" Let's buy it Does it touch your heart? Let it touch your pocket book. Contribute to "Old Kentucky Home" Commission, etc. (servants, horse and buggy out front of house).
65) Third Baptist Church, Owensboro, Ky.
66) statue, Court Square, Hodgenville, Ky.
67) The new high bridge at High Bridge, Ky.
68) Looking up the Kentucky River from High Bridge, Ky. Shakertown in the distance.
69) The beautiful Kentucky River, looking east from High Bridge.
70) Studio portrait of woman seated with head on hand.
71) Studio portrait of standing woman, inscribed "Chicago, Illonois July 22, 1909. White City."
72) Photograph of women and men standing at net on tennis court, racquets leaning against net. (Lillie Foell first woman at right)
73) Photograph of a small girl on burro that is standing in the street.
74) Photograph of a family. (by Mandel's -- positive process-- by the Chicago Ferrotype Co,)
75) Portrait of a man and woman in studio setting. (Fire Light Studio 458 Fourth Ave., Louisville, Ky.)
76) Photograph of infantry man holding a gun. (on back) "Mr. Tony L. Huebener(sp?) Co. D 833rd Inf. Camp Taylor, Louisville, Ky."
77) Photograph of a small girl standing beside a large doll that's in a doll carriage.
78) Woman standing outside by a large flowering bush.
79) People sitting on the front porch of "The Inn" (some fogging of the photograph).
80) Truck Company No. 24 2427 (soldiers sitting in back of truck).
81) A building.
Other postcards of interest in BOX 2 -
* 82) In the surf, Michigan City, Indiana. (people standing and sitting on sandy beaches, others out swimming)
* 83) Floaters (three men and woman) on Great Salt Lake, Utah. "Nothing Like It."
* 84) Bathing in Great Salt Lake, Saltair Beach 1904. (mostly men floating and standing; in background huge far eastern-looking building)
* 85) Viewing the Marine Gardens through glass-bottom boat, Santa Catalina Island, California. (men sitting and one man standing in foreground, watching)
* 86) Living flag, Salt Lake, August 11, 1909 G.A.R. Enc.
87) Lick Observatory, Mount Hamilton, California.
* 88) Thirty-six inch refractor, Lick Observatory, Mt. Hamilton, California.
89) Grain elevators, Buffalo, N.Y.
90) Fishing and pleasure boats, on the beach at Ocean View, summer resort, near Norfolk, Va.
91) Sweet Sulphur Springs, Velpen, Indiana. (two couples playing a game of badminton?)
* 92) Seesaw, Korean girls' outdoor sport/ April 10, 1931. (two girls holding onto suspended string; one standing on lower end of seesaw and the other up in the air) sepia toned
93) Steel bin loading station, Bingham, Utah/ May 23, 1912.
* 94) Lapp family sitting in front of tent holding dolls which they perhaps made?/ July 12, 1932.
95) Main Street at night, looking east, Evansville, Indiana.
96) Steamer loading cotton, New Orleans, La.
97) A noonday siesta. (small boy lying along the back of a burro backwards)
98) Ohio River steamboat landing, Evansville, Ind.
99) Bear Pit, Cincinnati, Ohio.
100) A view from suspension bridge, Cincinnati, Ohio/ July 3. (Cincinnati ferry going under bridge with people watching from bridge)
101) Inclined plane, Cincinnati, Ohio ca. 1904. (trolleys on platforms extended out from an inclined track?)
102) Harbor scene, Detroit, Michigan. (people on dock watching three docked ships; one docked ship alongside wharf)
103) Elevated R.R. curve at 110th Street, New York City.
104) A California ostrich farm.
105) (on back) Cataract Restaurant...319 Main St., Niagara Falls, N.Y. (looking across water to large building).
- Box 2