Wallace Henderson papers, 1945-1960
- Wallace Henderson papers, 1945-1960
- Henderson, Wallace W.
- .1 cubic ft.
- Forbes, James Kerr, 1847-1907.
- Forbes, Madison Chastain, d. 1934.
- Harpending, Asbury, 1839-1923.
- Hollowell, Marylou.
- Hollowell, Robert.
- Latham, John C, 1843-1909.
- Mills, Roger Quarles, 1832-1911.
- Trail of Tears, 1838
- Christian County (Ky.)--History.
- Hopkinsville (Ky.)--Commerce.
- Kentucky--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Arranged by accession number.
- University of Kentucky
- Biography / History
- Historian. Wallace W. Henderson wrote histories and biographies about Hopkinsville and Christian County, his birthplace and home.
- Scope and Content
- These are photostatic copies of Henderson's manuscripts on Christian County history. The manuscripts consist of: (63M188) "A young man who went west," (no date) about Roger Quales Mills, a Christian County native and Texas legislator; (63M192) "Civil War days," (no date) a brief history of Christian County during the Civil War; (63M188) "The Harpending Story," (1960) about Asbury Harpending, Jr. a Christian County native who made and lost several fortunes through investments in California and elsewhere; (63M193) "The Hollowell Case," (no date) the story of Robert and Mary Lou Hollowell who sued several Tobacco Night Riders in federal court after they had been attacked and driven from their Christian County home; and (63M191) "John C. Latham," (1945) a short biography of Latham, partner of Latham Alexander & Company of New York and a native of Hopkinsville.
- Additional manuscripts include: (63M194) "The Liquidation of the American 'Kulaks'," (1953) the story of the Cherokee Nation's "Trail of Tears" and its relationship to Hopkinsville; (63M189) "The Story of an Industry," (no date) the biography of James Kerr Forbes and his brother Madison Christian Forbes, Hopkinsville businessmen during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Restrictions on Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access
- Collection is open for research.
No items have been requested.
Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.