Disputanta Project Papers,1978
- Disputanta Project Papers,1978
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- .4 lin. ft.; 18 audiotapes
- Tobacco -- Rockcastle County, Kentucky
- Rockcastle County, Kentucky -- Churches
- Rockcastle County, Kentucky -- Schools
- Clear Creek, Kentucky -- History, local
- Disputanta, Kentucky -- History, local
- Disputanta: A Front Porch Chronicle, by TerryAllebaugh (book)
- Farming -- Rockcastle County, Kentucky
- Depression (1930 -- 1940) -- Rockcastle County, Kentucky
- Moonshining -- Rockcastle County, Kentucky
- Disputanta, Kentucky -- History, social
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Disputanta is located in the northeast corner of Rockcastle County, approximately ten to twelve miles from Berea, Kentucky. A small rural community, it is commonly known as Clear Creek by its residents, and was, until the early 1900s, known as Reedville. The Disputanta Project involved an area history of the community conducted by Berea College student Terry Allebaugh and sponsored by a National Endowment for the Humanities Youth Grant.
- Scope and Content
- Materials consist of oral history tapes, transcriptions, and related publications concerning an oral history of Disputanta in Rockcastle County, Kentucky.
- Materials consist of interviews of twenty-eight residents of Clear Creek, eighteen of which have been transcribed. In general, the tapes are a record of the social history of the community, and include comments on tobacco farming, the Depression, local churches and schools, Berea College, moonshining, and other topics. Also present are copies of Allebaugh's book, DISPUTANTA: A FRONT PORCH CHRONICLE, which contains excerpts from these tapes.
- Folder list; unpublished guide.